Facial Awareness.

I'm not really that arty or crafty.

If you've read my blog at all you'll know it's one big adventure after another where I set out to create something and it turns to crap. Notable examples include any time I try to cook, make cupcake frostings, knit, make Christmas ornaments, etc. (see previous blog entries for reference if you don't believe me).

But I love makeup. And makeup is my version of art. My grandfather is a painter, or at least he used to paint. We've had these two beautiful paintings he did hanging on the walls of our homes for as long as I can remember. And I always wanted to be able to do something like that. Even my mom is really crafty! Our house is filled with things that she's made, pots that she's painted or ornaments that we made when we were younger. She makes gorgeous knitted and crocheted things and does really intricate needlework on lace tablecloths. I come from some pretty talented stock.

So you'd think I'd be able to draw or paint or something. Not so. Not so at all. Even my stick figures are scary looking. Seriously. Play drawsomething with me and you will see how suck I am. Somewhere in a box in the closet of my childhood bedroom is a self-portrait from fourth grade that just is... it's not flattering. And I don't think I'm a monster, you know I have my bad days like everyone else but for the most part I like me on the inside and out so we can chalk it up to my artistic nonabilities and keep that bad boy in the box to keep the evil that is undoubtedly trapped inside and trying to escape into the Earth at bay.

Makeup. Back to makeup.

I am obsessed. I love makeup and I usually look pretty good. I think anyway. Every once in a while I'll go somewhere or wear something and my Mom will look at me and say something along the lines of, "huh" or "hmmmm." Once she told my sisters that I looked like a street walker but it worked on me.

I'm still not sure if I like that.

And while most of what I do is everyday I love the challenge of doing something crazy! Mostly, I do my makeup and I do it differently almost everyday. I might use the same colors but the technique changes and if we've had a night out together you know that's when I go nuts! I love glitter and false lashes and really loud lipsticks! I restrain myself a lot of the time, mostly because I don't have the personality or the wardrobe to accompany such wackiness, and choose either eyes or lips when I'd rather wear a dark smoky eye with a deep vampy purple lip. But with that face I'd need like a leather cat suit and thigh high boots so I could have a drink with my friends and then go fight crime on my way home.

Whenever I'm in a wedding I usually end up doing one or two of the other girls makeup. When a bunch of us went to Vegas for my friend Hannah's 21st birthday, I did all the girls makeup (except Niki because she wanted to learn so I told her how to do her makeup while she did it--that was fun too!). I have this habit of looking at people's faces and thinking of ways I could do their eyes, what colors work best for their skin tone and their eye color and why I'm not focusing on other regular things.

Anyway, the other day I came across this picture of Hayley Williams from Paramore (LOVE Paramore!) and she is just so cute and funky. Her hair is always some shade of pink or red or orange and her makeup is usually relatively neutral but she also does a lot of neon colors which I totally love! It's not everyone who can pull off stuff like that and I'm super jealous of the ones who can! But this picture stuck with me and I found myself obsessing over that pink eyeshadow!

I have pink eyeshadows. Everyone does if you buy eyeshadows in a quad or a set of some kind there will usually be a really neutral, light, pretty pink. I also have a palette with 88 eyeshadows in it. Yeah! 88!! And there are a ton of colors that you don't use very often. In fact, I've used them as lipsticks or blushes more often than as eyeshadows. But I have hot pinks and red and neon purple eyeshadows.

My makeup collection is truly massive.

So I decided to go for it. Why not right?! My philosophy of makeup is that it should be fun! Even if you go outside in wacky peacock colors or you're a mascara and blush only kind of person, it's just makeup. And the best part about it is you can wash it off! Which is why you'll usually see me on the weekends with one eye in a deep smoky purple eye with silver glitter liner and the other eye neutral with a heavy 1950's pinup model liner that extends out onto my face into a huge flower.

Makeup is art. It's not just about transforming my face into less of a car wreck for daily viewing by the general public. It's fun! And it can be scary or beautiful or weird or barely there or anything I want. It's my own land of imagination when I get my makeup out.

Which is probably why it takes me a million minutes to get ready in the morning because I just can't decide what to do with my face.

But here's what I came up with today.

My makeshift workspace. This is not my entire makeup collection just what I used on my eyes today...I love that huge palette and I'm definitely going to start using the stuff in the middle rows more! Get the palette here!


These are the swatches I did to see what the colors look like once they're not concentrated all together. What I love about this palette especially is that the colors are pretty much exactly what they look like in the pot which means they're a good quality product.
 

And because I'm not a guru and this isn't youtube I didn't take pictures step by step, I just did after shots.
 

And because I'm a ham and don't take serious self-portraits:
 

If I was wearing this out I would definitely add false lashes and would probably wear cherry lips and a shimmer highlight on my cheeks.




















<--My muse du jour.  Photo came from here!



















So far my Mom hasn't said anything, but she did do a double take and a sneaky close up look at my face when she saw me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.