Italian Sprinkle Cookie Goodness.

In celebration of Harry Potter and that I am currently passing my statistics class, I've been doing some holiday baking. I'm better at baking than cooking, but in my itty bitty kitchen with my crappy oven aka apartment living, it's difficult to bake. But I've done it. I love holiday baking more than any other kind and I refuse to let space or suck get in the way of it.

So I made Italian Sprinkle Cookies.



And because it's the season of giving, and I have nothing else to write about other than how much I LOVE the new Harry Potter movie, I'm going to share the recipe and encourage you to get on it!

COOKIES:
6 eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon almond extract
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract

GLAZE:
1/2 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
Jimmies (colored sprinkles)

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until light and foamy, about 5 minutes. Set aside. In another mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder; stir in oil and extracts. Gradually add eggs (dough will be stiff). Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.

For glaze, combine milk and extracts in a large bowl. Add sugar; whisk until the glaze is smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly immerse two or three at a time into the glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon or fingers. Place cookies on wire racks to drain. Quickly top with sprinkles. Let dry 24 hours before storing in airtight containers. Yield: about 7 dozen.

My notes (for those of you more skilled at baking which really isn't difficult, you'll probably know how to overcome these "issues"):

The dough will be insanely stiff! I had to give up using the spoons and mix it with my hands and I have no idea if that was appropriate but I got fed up and went for it. That's why I suck at cooking because I have little patience. I want food when I want it. I don't want to work for it. I'm sure there's something terribly wrong with that mindset but I'll have someone in the department evaluate me later.

It says it yields 7 dozen and that sounds like a lot but they're tiny ball cookies. And I plan on giving them away and taking them to my lab and to class so it's not like I have a huge stock pile of cookies. Although these are delicious so I'd probably eat them all. BUT, I have no concept of what a 1-inch ball is. 1-inch all around, 1-inch lengthwise, 1-in width wise? No clue, so I don't think I yielded 7 dozen but I got a lot.

The glaze. I have no idea how to make sprinkles stick to glazes or frosting or anything other than my tongue. I'm sure better, smarter people can work this magic but not me. My cookies have about 3 sprinkles each, but they are in Christmas colors. I love multi-colored jimmies because they look so fun, but it's Christmas; Red, green, and white it is! Or should have been...fail.

I love Christmas baking, and as you can see from the picture, I made a right mess of my kitchen. That's just a few of the cookies sitting to drain on the wax paper below but my entire kitchen looks like a Sprinkle Glaze monster tried to attack me. At one point during the glaze sprinkle disaster one end of the cooling racks slipped off the table and I had a hot mess of freshly glazed cookies stuck to my floor mats.

I don't think any of my tips can help anyone reading this because I'm kind of a disaster in the kitchen. But I love it. When it's not food that is. When it's dessert. When it's dessert I'm happy.

And I'm happy with these cookies.

They turned out perfectly. They're nice and soft and the glaze isn't too sweet even though you read 3-3/4 cups of powdered sugar and get diabetes. The cookie is light and fluffy and tastes vaguely of almond, the glaze is delicious and glazey and tastes a lot like almond and vanilla. They're bite size, so you don't feel like a heffer when you eat 8 in a row.

They take time, but they're delicious and festive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.