Megachurch

I've resumed my search for a church in El Paso. And I started with the church I see in commercials. The one that has the most bumper stickers in this city. I knew what I was in for, but I figured what the heck. I was raised in a giant church, the first one we went to for a long time in Phoenix was actually a megachurch, but I don't remember it being extremely lavish.

This, however, was a megachurch. An actual megachurch.

It was ca-razy!

But I learned a lot this morning. Mostly about myself, but still.

I learned that it's difficult for me to take a church seriously and get past the initial thought that it's just about money when as soon as you walk in there's a full bookstore (think Borders airport style--like a proper size bookstore!), full coffee bar and movie theater, all in the lobby.

I've never seen anything like that in a church. Anywhere.

But the worship was great, really. Full band and choir, leader who sang harmony which I didn't understand. You're the leader. Not a solo artist, but whatever. I couldn't get past the LED light show that was happening either. But they sang songs I know and love, which doesn't always happen.

The sermon was interesting. That means I didn't like it. I didn't like the pastor at all. He was brash, which he called "straight shootin'." I call it jackassery. I don't like guys like him, guys who state the reason people don't come back to his church is because they can't handle all the truth he's throwing at them. In part that is true about church in general, people aren't always ready to hear what the church has to say, sometimes because it's total crap, sometimes because they're not in a place in their life where they can be receptive to the gospel. But for a pastor to assume his approach is blameless and above reproach is ridiculous to me. Absolving himself of responsibility for his community is unacceptable.

Plus I hate when pastors, and Christians in general, actually endorse following God's law and being a Christian to avoid the alternative. No one wants to go to hell, but that is not a good enough reason to be a Christian. Following the rules to avoid eternal damnation, misses the point completely. The things we do in the name of God should not be done out of fear, there's no fear in believing.

I also think places like that get away from the meaning of church, the way it's set up for us in the Bible. Church is a community, a place to be welcomed in as you are, where you have a family of believers around you who come together to serve God in your area. A place that raises $13 million plus dollars towards their own building project and only feeds 1100 families a month with their food pantry ministry is not, in my opinion, acting as a good steward of their money. There is no argument that will convince me that the move theater and bookstore and stadium seating and "communion cups" are a good investment in comparison to the countless homeless in our city, the poor education also in our city, mission work around the world, there are so many social ills that can be met and absolved with that kind of money, that kind of commitment to the faith and to God.

It's not up to me to judge where people's hearts or minds are when they give. It's easy to see it all as fake and for the wrong motives, but that's between them and God. I just know that I can't support a place like that.

Not to continue harping, but they take communion every week which I hate but that's just me, I don't have to take it it's just a personal thing. But they had them available on the way in. And the bread and juice come in a little cup like a coffee creamer. You peel back the top and the piece of bread is there and then you peel back that layer and get at the juice. But I suppose with a congregation of 2,000 plus it's not realistic to pass it around.

Megachurches... they're as unique as they sound.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.