Christmas in New York: Brunch is a Lifestyle

Today, I had a lazy Sunday. I'm back to the comfortable New York feeling. I met up with Monica, my very dear friend from high school and life, and some of her friends for brunch in Queens. They'd had their Chrismukkah celebration last night, but still dragged themselves out of bed and into the coldest day of the season for brunch at this great little place called Locale.

I got there early because I was coming from Manhattan, they were coming from down the street. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there on the train or if it would get stuck or how long I would wander around lost. But it was a quick trip and I didn't get lost at all! But I was early. I got to the restaurant before they opened which earned me some sass from a waitress with half a head of hair.

The doors were unlocked, I was 5 minutes early, and she informed me they couldn't serve me until they were open which was fine, but she then described her displeasure to her coworkers about how people show up early and expect to be served and how she's sick of it...

...yeah. I'm right here, you know? Whatever.

I relayed the story to my group expecting them to tell me that's New York and I shouldn't have come early, that I was asking for it. But I was instead met with the same distaste anyone feels accompanying bad service. I was told, "there's no reason for bad service at brunch."

Brunch is big here.

I like brunch. But I've never really experienced it until now. It's more of a mindset than a food I think. Monica and one girl, whose name is escaping me, discussed eggs benedict at length and in great detail and how it might be different based on what they were reading on the menu. I had no idea there were so many variations of eggs benedict or methods in which we could have them cooked.

It's easier for me to order now because most things include meat and finding the three vegetarian options on any menu doesn't usually require much hunting. I had a spinach and goat cheese omelet and it was delicious. For all the hassle it was, I enjoyed the restaurant very much.

And I actually learned a lot. And not just about eggs benny, but about brunch in general, and various food karts around the city that have "amazing" falafel or good nuts... We also discussed our favorite Indian foods, Ethiopian, what the ratings on the doors mean, how the health inspectors arrive, how they have to display their letters on the doors, what it means for their business in general and to us as consumers. I heard it all.

Brunch is definitely a lifestyle.

I then spent the rest of the day at Alex and Monica's. It's always so good to see her. She's one of my favorite people. I'm glad for those friendships in your life that continue beyond the time and place you originally established them. And she's fabulous so that's just a big bonus. She just worked with Chita Rivera, I wish I could have seen it! Not in the distant future I'll be flying back to watch her on stage.

It was a simple day. I'm glad for it. I stayed way too long, they were so sweet to entertain me for hours, and then I walked back to the train station, went back to my hotel and went to a movie. Simple. What made it especially exciting for me was that I got Tim Horton's coffee and donuts.

If you've never had Tim Horton's coffee and donuts, you haven't really had coffee or donuts. Tim Horton's is everywhere in Canada and I had never had the coffee until my first trip to New York, and it is really fantastic. I intend to eat a lot of Tim Horton's on this trip.

And that was day 2. Good food, great friends, decent movie, awesome coffee and donuts, and brunch. Brunch. The magic meal that defines an entire city.

Brunch. It's more than just a food; it's a lifestyle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.