In Defense of Bras.

Apparently, a lot of women hate bras.

I've been a woman for quite some time now, and I've had the chats with girlfriends about shoulder marks left from the straps, the hassle to figure out which to wear to suit a specific dress, or talked to the random woman in line at the mall about how much money it costs to buy a bra (it's a whole lot btw), but it's only been recently that I've come across so many women who truly hate wearing a bra.

I like wearing a bra.

There. I said it.

But I do. I enjoy wearing a bra. I have big boobs, I always have. I got the big boob gene from both sides of my family and I basically went from a training bra to a C cup during puberty. And it's been a lifetime of back aches and posture problems (gravity is the enemy), and shirts fitting weird or not at all, but this is my body so I've had to figure it out. And I think I do all right. I found a great brand of bras while I was in grad school (yes, grad school! That's been... 13 years of wearing bras and I finally found a brand that I like!) that minimize everything. Most women I know don't want to minimize, and in certain outfits I don't want to, but for every day life... the minimizer makes everything more contained. It keeps the buttons on my shirts from popping and all my shirts in general fit better. I noticed within a few days of wearing a minimizer that my back didn't hurt at all. I can always tell when a bras wearing out or I've changed sizes because my back will start to ache. Plus, research says that wearing a bra will help to prevent sagging at a later age, which I am all about.

The no bra movement is coming from women who don't want to be told what to do. I'm with you. If you don't want to wear a bra, don't. I completely disagree with anyone who says women and girls should restrict and cover up their bodies because it makes men or other women uncomfortable. They're just boobs. More than half the population has them but everyone's obsessed with them.

So what we can chalk this up to is that I enjoy bras for entirely selfish reasons. I like that I can stand up straight and not have serious back problems when I wear a good bra. I like the way my clothes fit and that I have more options than I would if I were free-boobing it. And I don't feel like society has told me I have to wear a bra. I see that message, I understand where women would feel that way, I just know that I look more like the fat baby angels in wallpaper than a Victoria's Secret Angel so I'm not being swayed by that ideal body type crap. I just want to be comfortable in my own body, and I love a good bra.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.