Until I Viewed it in Black and White

I've made it! The weekend is over--graduation was a success and I'm thrilled to have my degree and to have celebrated with my family and friends.

Now I'm in New York. Technically I'm on a futon in Queens. I wanted to take a vacation after graduation. I haven't been on vacation in years! And I thought, New York. I've always wanted to see New York. Broadway, the Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, everything! This is my one chance to see this city and I'm hoping to shove as much of it into the next 2 weeks as I possibly can.

And this trip is honestly facilitated by my family who are essentially paying for the Niagara Falls part, but also by Monica and Alex who are letting me stay with them without which I literally would not be here. So, thanks! This adventure's for you. Well, mostly for me, but you know what I mean.

The anthem for this trip so far has been "Too Late" by Dead By Sunrise but so far nothing too terrible has happened to me. My tourist book had me believing I would be attacked within minutes of exiting the plane by people desperate to swindle me or try and shake my hand to steal my rings (paraphrased quote) but none of that happened. No one even talked to me until I was in line for a cab; that guy probably only did so because he gets paid.

My plans have already been foiled by the insane amount of fog and miserable rain that prevented me from looking out the window and seeing New York from above. I never look out the plane window but I was willing to do it and all I could see was the rain. On the way out if I feel brave enough.

While the craziest ride I've ever taken in a taxi will always be in Anaheim, California the one in New York is a close second. People darting out in front of moving cars, driving SO INSANELY close to other cars in other lanes...I was convinced that that was my moment. I got on a plane to fly all the way to New York where I didn't see much of JFK Airport and couldn't get an aerial view of the city only to die in a cab on my way to Astoria.

Tomorrow was supposed to be a double-decker bus tour, but if it's as rainy I might not want to because I plan on sitting on the top so I can take pictures. But that's happening Thursday at the latest. I need to orient myself so much better than I'm sure to do tomorrow just walking around on my own.

Tomorrow's goal: Successfully ride the subway which means don't get mugged, end up in the Bronx, or crying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.