Be Prepared to Be Surprised

I knew that graduation would start the summer where everything changed. And life tends to just rip the tape right off your mouth rather than pull slowly even though it's the douche that tied you up in the trunk in the first place.

I'm moving. I'm leaving Phoenix. I haven't thought about it. It hasn't been real for a while.

That's changing. I'm freaking out.

Everything's changed in a matter of 2 weeks. It's just bizarre.

A few months ago my best friend called me to tell me she was pregnant. When she got married a few years ago that wasn't that hard for me to get used to. I like Dustin and they have enough independence from each other to not be one of those creepy couples joined at the hip. Sarah with a baby is harder for me to wrap my head around. I'm so excited for her, but we've known each other so long as we are and having a baby is so grown up. I won't be here when Clara's born. I'll see Sarah this summer until I move and then when I come home for Christmas break she'll have a baby.

When I was in New York, my Name Twin and 1/3 of my M cubed Soul Mate Trio, wrote to tell me she'd decided to move to Seattle, Washington. She left yesterday. I'm so glad she's there because I know this move is the best decision for her for now. She's going to have so much fun and be fabulous and since I'm moving at the end of the summer it's not really like we're leaving each other, but at the same time, we are.

I've never lived somewhere where I don't know anyone. I think I'll miss my friends. Even though I have no time during the year to get together, it's nice to know they're here.

So we spent the last week hanging out including a 3 1/2 hour coffee date, cosmic bowling goodbye party, surprise party for Dash--Morgan's main squeeze and new friend, liquor party at the house of someone I didn't know, and a surprise appearance by Mikayla Campbell, Lori and Caleb's baby girl who decided to be born one month early on the night before Megan left for Seattle. An amazing miracle in itself was that much more pronounced by her impeccable timing.

But not is all sunshine and puppies.

After signing the lease and paying the deposits (thanks Dad!) for the apartment in El Paso, I made a plan with my movers aka Mom and Dad, and decided to pick up the keys on the 17th of July and move on the August 1st weekend. So I called the apartment to tell them that and they informed me that the current tenant had extended his lease and I was no longer guaranteed an apartment until the end of July.

Um...what?!

School starts on the 25th of August, I might start before that. I can't be moving in and starting school and trying to pick up the pieces of my shattered existence once I realize I'm entirely alone and pull myself together in one weekend. It is not possible.

AND, it's a really effed up thing to do! Sign a legal contract with someone and then let the wavering guy stick around because he feels like it. Or needs to--whatever! The place is taken! I'd been approved already, everything was set, it was yesterday morning that he decided he wanted to stay and it was yesterday morning that they said "Sure thing!"

So it was yesterday that we called around to a different complex to ask them if they had any standards or morals and they do! So after a bit of verbal jousting this morning, I am out of one place and into another.

I hope it works. I asked the girl, "if the current tenant wants to extend their lease, what do you say?" Poor thing. I tried not to be mean but if this happens again, I can't be as "nice" to her as I was to this other place because it will be the most ridiculous situation in the world!

But then I got back this morning from having breakfast with Sarah and Clara (the names rhyme--I just realized it) and got a financial aid award letter from UTEP. I was confused about the money situation there because I'm being paid to work for them and it's a typical wage for a grad student but I also have a lifestyle to support (Ramen and basic cable) and it wouldn't cover it. So now I have money. Enough.

Unthinkably good things can happen.

It is a surprise. I don't know if I'll ever be prepared.

A few of my favorite pictures:

Name Twins after 3 1/2 hours of coffee date.



M cubed at Bowling.



Name Twins dance like this.



Kellie and Name Twins.



Dash rockin at his own Surprise Party.



Morgan on stage with the Cooper's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.