Days 12, 13, & 14: "Nature In My Face"



Ah travel. I hate the actually getting there part. Once I’m there I can figure things out and force myself to do them, but it’s the in between that blows. I was too nervous about what would happen the next day to sleep so I just packed up, showered, and watched Sex and the City while I waited for my alarm to go off at 6 a.m. I know I dropped off around 5 so yay! 1 whole hour of sleep just for me!

But I was all ready to go and barely asleep so when the alarm went off I just got up and ready and was out the door by 7 a.m. The Days Inn was a great hotel. It was right next to a train station that took me straight to Times Square and had free “breakfast” and a completely non-intrusive staff. And by non-intrusive I mean practically non-existent. I barely saw any staff including front desk. The last night I came back late, 12:30 not crazy late, but the guy was dead asleep at the desk when I walked in. That’s why I use the deadbolt and chain! When I checked out the guy just had me turn in my key and not let the door smack me on the way out. Whatever, for my situation it was perfect.

BUT, to actually get to the platform you have to walk up 4 flights of stairs. All I’ve been doing since I got to New York is walk up and down stairs, and over hills, and it’s been exhausting, but at this point 4 flights of stairs is just another day. But there is no elevator for me to take my giant suitcase, camera bag, and laptop bag up in. 4 flights of stairs. With all my luggage.

Ugh.

But I did it. It didn’t take that long either but wow that was the worst. And then I got stuck behind a family who was unsure of how to get on the train so I pushed past them and they barely made it on before the doors closed and glared at me. Oh well, it’s not a tough concept and if you can’t figure it out you probably shouldn’t be allowed on in the first place.

I got off at Times Square to make a transfer to a train that would take me to Penn Station and had to take the suitcase up more stairs and across an upwards ramp! I was walking like Martin Short in “Father of the Bride 2” when he’s carrying Steve Martin on his back. It was ridiculous! And I didn’t even bother to pick it up to take it down the stairs. I’m that guy.

But I found my train, got to Penn Station, got my ticket, and went off in search of coffee. And I found…

…Tim Horton’s. For those of you not from Canada or now, the East Coast, I feel bad for you because you’ve never experienced coffee until you’ve experienced Tim Horton’s. There are some things to me that are Canada and Tim Horton’s is one of them. Very good start to the trip.

After a 9 hour train ride from Penn Station and all the way up through the state of New York, I finally arrived in Niagara Falls, New York. I had no idea where I was going because every time I would try and find out where the hotel was in relation to the train station I would get nothing. So after trying to get into the train station to talk to someone and saw that tiny town U.S.A. closed at 4:30 (????) called the hotel who told me to get a cab. My selection of cabs was the 5 guys waiting with their vans. But it was marginally better than waiting with the homeless man with the pink vitamin water.

The man who drove me was really great. He was friendly (I hate silent cab rides it creeps me out) and gave me his cell number so when I needed to go back to the train station I could call him, or if I needed any suggestions for places to go while I was in town I knew who to ask. Very friendly. I didn’t see much of Niagara Falls the city, mostly houses and a Tim Horton’s, and then we turned a corner and all you can see is mist.

My hotel (The Comfort Inn The Pointe) was right next to the Rainbow Bridge which is the bridge between the U.S. and Canada and out the back entrance was the sign to the park. It was incredible. I could see rushing water from my room. If I craned my neck and leaned up against the window, but still!

I was so tired from the trip and my 1 hour of sleep was starting to not be enough so I just stayed in and got situated for the next day.

After a lovely continental breakfast—a real one, with the usual bagels, cereal, and fruit, coffee, juice, AND waffles, hard boiled eggs (not sure why) and all kinds of pastries—so much better than most, I headed out. I didn’t have a plan because while I looked into a few attractions I just didn’t want to spend the money. I seriously considered doing the Cave of the Winds where you walk down and under the Falls, but the line was huge so I skipped it. It was just frosting so I wasn’t upset. There was no way I was doing Maids of the Mist which is the boat that takes you right to the base of the Horseshoe Falls; I’m convinced that the boat will get pulled under and we’ll all die. Or a giant tidal wave like the kind from “Poseidon” will occur and kill us all.

I started on the American side because I wanted to be in Canada for the night lights and fireworks so I walked around and the park is bigger on that side but you actually see the Falls from Canada.

Now, I don’t know if this will shock anyone but I’m not exactly an outdoor kind of girl. I don’t like bugs, I don’t like to sweat, and I don’t like getting dirty. So my mantra for the day was, “Don’t be such a girl O’Connor” and I powered through. I went down trails that were off the main path and could potentially make me fall. I NEVER do that!

And I swear every bug that resides in Niagara Falls flew straight at and into my face, hair, arms, ears, so my next mantra was “Don’t be such a wuss O’Connor! Don’t flap your arms like a crazy person!”

I walked for a while along the rapids and took a ton of pictures and then came through a clearing and the ground opened up. I have seen God’s work and I’m continually amazed by the world and how it all comes together and sustains itself and us, and this was further confirmation of how amazing He really is.

It is the most incredible body of water I’ve ever seen. I know it’s been altered to support tourism, bridges, stability, but it is a miracle. It’s so clear and gorgeous it was amazing to see. It’s louder on the American side but I guess we’re like that.

I think if I ever become a travel writer I’ll have to change the name of this blog to “The Tourist Who Sweats. A Lot.” It was so hot and humid I couldn’t stand it. My shirt was soaked through; you’d think I’d done the Maids of the Mist boat tour because I was dripping. It was gross.

I got to Terrapin Point to see the Horseshoe Falls and the SD memory card in my camera decided it was full so I had to go back to the hotel to dump the pictures and free up some space. But I was glad for the break, I’d been at it for a few hours and the hotel was so close it wasn’t such a hassle. But even if it was there was no way I was walking around without being able to take pictures. After a little break I made my way back to Terrapin Point and resumed my tour, map free.

I decided to wing it and see where the road would take me. I saw the Three Sisters Islands and walked around Goat Island back to the American Rapids Bridge, where I walked over the water and back towards the Rainbow Bridge to go into Canada.

I couldn’t figure out how to get to the Bridge, at least to the place where pedestrians can cross, and ended up walking under it a few times which was special. I do love graffiti.

But eventually I found a sign I understood and made it to the Bridge. There was no toll or person checking papers on the U.S. side so I just walked over, took some pictures, stood on the line between my countries for a minute and then carried on.

Before getting into Canada, though, I had to talk to the border people which I’ve done before so I didn’t think anything of it. But the guy asked me, “What brings you to Canada?” which I just thought was the dumbest question ever. I’m walking across a bridge with a camera and camera bag. That’s it! There’s a giant waterfall to your left. What else would I be here for? But I answered the question and the subsequent others including how much money did I have, all of 3 dollars and access to credit cards. The questions stopped though when he saw that I was a Canadian born person who retained citizenship to both countries which was just the coolest. They can deny me entry if they have cause, but they didn’t and I definitely belong to both. I LOVE it!

But I was finally in and there is no bad view of the Falls from Canada. I walked all the way from the Bridge to behind the Horseshoe Falls and back. It’s so beautiful I kept forgetting how dangerous it is. I kept thinking it’s the edge of the world even though I was staring back at a different country that goes on forever.

I had dinner at Tim Horton’s—ice cappuccino, Turkey Caesar Sandwich and a maple glaze donut—I love Tim Horton’s. But this particular one was ridiculous, because they only took Master Card or cash. I had more than 3 dollars so that was good, but it was American! She said it was ok though so that was good, but wow am I a mess. And then I walked into a bunch of the souvenir shops right along the water to get a magnet and some candy. Again, only those from Canada will understand what I mean when I say, Smarties, Coffee Crisp, Mars, and my personal favorite Aero bars. I got one of each; they didn’t have any Skor bars which I wanted. I haven’t had one since it knocked one of my teeth loose at camp when I was a kid, I’m still a little afraid for my adult teeth, but I didn’t get to test it.

I know I was only the edge of Canada, but it felt like Canada. Everyone was so nice and there were tables of Maple Syrup displays, stuffed Moose animals and RCMP hats…I love Canada. While I’m completely an American and have no desire to move back, I’m proud of where I come from and the influence my country has had on me and it was nice to be back. I haven’t been back since I was in high school.

It got cold really quickly though. And because I was insanely sweaty I’m pretty sure icicles started to form around me while I waited for the lights to turn on and the fireworks to go off. I stood near the bridge where I could quickly walk back to the U.S. and my warm bed, but also see the Falls really well.

I watched Memorial Day fireworks in Canada! They shot them off from right inside the Falls and after waiting for 2 and ½ hours I was so excited to see a good show. And 3 minutes after they started they were done. Unreal. The entire canyon was filled with smoke and everyone clapped (??) and started leaving. So I did too. And 5 minutes later they started them up again for the big finale. Ridiculous. But it was a great show in spite of the little 10 minute pause in the middle of it.

To get back into the U.S. I had to pay .50 cents and walked over the Bridge. I thought it would be freezing but maybe it was because I was moving that I didn’t notice. And because I think I’ve started a weird tradition with myself, I made a wish on a quarter and threw it into the water.

I did this in the Hoover Dam because I’d seen it in a movie. I did it at Liberty Island because I love the Statue of Liberty. I did it here because I was standing between my two worlds and I figured if there was magic associated with my loyalties it would be strongest there. So I stood with one foot in either country and made my wish. Megan O’Connor armed with quarters and wishes, coming to a body of water near you.

The guy at the gate into the U.S. was nice enough although I thought I was in trouble when I told him I had been in Canada for about 6 hours because he gave me a look but carried on with the interrogation. I think I’m going to have to start writing about what it’s like to be single, because I cannot be so deluded as to love my life when I should be sitting around wondering why I’m so pathetic I have to go on vacation by myself or wondering what’s wrong with me and why I can’t find a man to make me a real and complete person. Or maybe I can.

Everyone I’ve met on this trip, this guy especially, has been dead shocked I’ve come all the way from Phoenix to the East Coast alone. You’d think we were still living in the Dark Ages when women never left the house unless accompanied by a man or that people never went anywhere by themselves. I guess I’m too stupid to realize I should be embarrassed when asked how many are with me and I say no one and continue to have fun on my own.

This part seriously took the longest. It had nothing to do with my activities while in Canada or my plans for returning to the U.S. it was a social conversation about why I choose to, and how I can, enjoy life alone. Which I tried to shut down but he is the law so I did have to answer politely.
I eventually reentered the U.S. alone, and walked back to the hotel to pack up and prepare for tomorrow (today).

Tomorrow’s come and I have so far taken a cab to the train station, the train to Buffalo, a cab to the airport, and a plane to Charlotte where I am now waiting to see if I can board a plane and come home or if I’ll have to move here. The last flight to Phoenix was too busy so not everyone got on and were bumped to the plane I’m supposed to be on. This means I get bumped because I’m flying standby on a guest pass. There are two more flights out of here tonight straight to Phoenix but I might be going to Ohio and then on the Phoenix, according to the phone call I just got from my Dad.

So as of right now, I am the waiting unknown in Charlotte.

At least I’ll get a bunch of mugs for my Starbucks cup collection.

UPDATE: From Charlotte I ran to a different concourse, naturally, to get a different flight. Rather than try to get out of Charlotte to Phoenix direct, which I just found out had 3 open seats and 26 people on standby. Yeah. No way. But I got to go from Charlotte to Columbus, Ohio near the home of my favorite band Relient K. They weren’t on the plane or in my part of the airport. I checked.

I spent about 20 minutes in Ohio and flew out of Columbus to Phoenix and am now finishing this from the comfort of my apartment.

The flight from Charlotte to Columbus took about an hour, and the guy I sat next to was excessively tan and slept the whole flight. From Columbus to Phoenix I was in the last row next to a lady who talked for the first 2 hours of the 4 hour flight and probably continued to talk to me while I had my headphones in. Linda. She was nice. She told me her whole life story including a naughty story about her and her husband completely unprovoked btw.

My Starbucks cup collection has now grown to 5.

So kids the vacation is officially over. 2 countries, 4 states and 1 province, 5 boroughs, 7 cities, the New York transit system, 2 Amtrak train rides, 4 cab rides, 4 planes and a partridge in a pear tree.

I went to New York and I lived! And I mean that literally and figuratively. No one killed and raped me in an alley like I thought (thanks SVU!) but I had experiences. I enjoyed myself and have no regrets.

So with skyscrapers and stargazers in my head I am going to bed. But I'll be back.

This is a New Year's Resolution.

Life is the adventure, and my summer promises to deliver.

Tomorrow's goal: To not leave my apartment.

A few of my favorite pictures:





And then the ground opened up.






The Mist.




View from the Bridge.


Rainbow.


Horseshoe Falls.






Canadian American.


Dinner.


Life.

Comments

  1. I've been there! We stayed on the Canadian side though, so I don't know anything about the New York side. If the Cave of the Winds is anything like the back side of water in Canada, you didn't miss much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I really loved being able to read about your trip, quite entertaining and funny, besides you said what really happened to you not just the fun happy stuff always makes it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi--I thought it would be cool but yeah I don't feel like I missed out so I'm glad you agree :)

    Thanks Emily! Looking back I'm so happy I thought to do this because it was a huge trip and if I tried to write it after the fact it just wouldn't happen. I appreciate that you read it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.