I Can't Cook.

I've been trying to cook forever.

I learned to bake pretty early on, and while my presentation is occasionally lacking I can make some pretty tasty pastries.

Cooking is a whole other beast. My Dad tried to teach me once and it was a disaster. The man doesn't use recipes, he just thinks it up as he goes which is fine if you know how to cook. I didn't. I still don't.

But I've been practicing, mostly over the last year. I got cookbooks for Christmas and managed to pick every horrible recipe in them so needless to say I stopped trying to cook on a regular basis.

But I was also 45 minutes away from my parents so I had plenty of leftovers and free meals whenever I needed them. Now I'm 6 hours away from them so I'm thinking frozen foods won't make it.

I bought Taste of Home's Fall 2010 magazine yesterday which is primarily filled with recipes for baked goodies but at the back they had a plug for cream cheese and a recipe for veggies with a cream chive and onion sauce and I had to try it. But I couldn't think of what I wanted to eat with it because I hate cooking!! But I went through my book of 12 recipes and landed on chicken and gravy because I had all the stuff for it.

For the most part it worked out well--I don't think I've given myself food poisoning so that's always good. My gravy sucked. I think I know why but I'm glad I tried it out before serving it to guests because I'm told that bad gravy is an embarrassment.

The veggies were so much more delicious than I had thought they would be! The recipe calls for fresh cut, but I had frozen so I just made the sauce and it was amazing! I had to cook some green onion and they got way more brown than I had intended but not burned or ruined so I'm ok with that.

I guess I'll keep trying. Having things work out and taste good is inspiring.






I followed it up with some Apple Crisp I had left over. That's a different glass of milk by the way. Go Calcium!

Comments

  1. Speaking of adult life...look at you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously cant cook either.. I turned yummy steak into hard beef jerky :(
    That my friend looks VERY yummy though!! GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!! Feeding myself...it's a work in progress :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.