One of the Lucky Ones

It's done. Everything.

I am officially living in Texas.

I am also, for the first time in my life, entirely alone.

Right now, it sucks. I hated saying goodbye to my parents. I've been on the couch watching my new t.v. since they left and I still have so much to "do."

To update from my last post:

I set my alarm on Friday night to wake up at 6:45 a.m. to eat breakfast with my parents early so we could be at the apartment by 8 a.m. The window the Home Depot gave us for the delivery of my washer and dryer was 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. so getting there a bit before 8 a.m. was the goal. For whatever reason, my so-called "smart phone" doesn't automatically switch the time when I take it into a new time zone and I had forgotten to do it. So while my alarm was set, it was set for 6:45 a.m. in Phoenix, which is 7:45 a.m. in El Paso.

I didn't wake up in time. I was woken up by my parents but we were still running late.

However...

If we had been there before 8 a.m. like we wanted we would have been waiting around for the delivery all day. It comes with the name O'Connor. Ridiculous luck that isn't bad but definitely isn't lucky. That's us. So because we were arriving at the apartment complex 5 minutes to 8 a.m. we were nearly run down by the delivery man as he was driving away from the complex.

When we had ordered the set we were told we'd be given a call a half hour before the delivery truck would be at my place.

I forgot my phone at the hotel.

BUT! We hadn't left the hotel until at least 7:45 a.m. No call.

When we got back there to pick it up, I had 2 missed calls. 2 missed C.Y.A. calls. But we called to make sure we had missed the delivery and to see when the guy would be driving back into the area when we were informed he only works half days. Not cool.

The moral of this story is that if you miss a delivery in El Paso, you miss it until they feel like coming back. Home Depot was not happy with the conversation we had with them so the truck driver called me, personally to try and smooth it over. Didn't happen.

So, I didn't get a washer or dryer yesterday. But I have a new set from Best Buy that will be arriving on Friday. They're a Whirlpool set and I still can't believe I have a washer & dryer in my apartment. Or will have.

We had also set up the Direct TV installation for between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. and since the washer/dryer were delivered before 8 a.m. the next guy couldn't come until between 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m.

Naturally.

But he was right on time in the new time.

He was just unaware that I live in an apartment. Direct TV contracted out the installation and didn't send him the full address. So he didn't have the stuff to set up the tripod and had to come back.

This morning. Sunday.

The set-up itself didn't take long at all. It was entirely pain free. The guys came in, drilled the dish to the concrete blocks on the balcony, hooked it up and took off. It's just so frustrating that nothing has happened when it should or how it should.

But it's done. After Friday it'll really be done.

My Dad replaced my printer for me because my old one decided to die. It wouldn't print pictures normally or text at all, so while he was setting it up and getting it to work with my laptop we watched "The Devil Wears Prada."

Then, last night we had "dinner" which means we split some appetizers and desserts. I had made the "mistake" of joking that we should get 3 desserts and just pass them around and my Mom just latched on to it and that's what we did. I was able to sleep because I was so exhausted, but if I hadn't just spent the past 3 days packing, crying, driving, crying, unpacking, crying, shopping, crying, cleaning, crying, more shopping, more crying, and being jerked around by every single agency I've tried to deal with in this city, I would have been up all night with the shakes.

So here I am. On my old couch, in a new apartment, in the city they call the Borderland.

What I've learned about myself:

I'm not adventurous. I was afraid to go to New York. I'm still afraid to leave my apartment and go anywhere in El Paso. I'm really really scared to start school.

But, I'm too stubborn to let not being adventurous keep me from becoming the person I want to be. I've wanted to go to Grad School since I was in high school, and ever since the first day of college I've known I want to be a Psychologist. And now I'm here. I've been accepted to one of the best Legal Psychology programs in this country where I'll work with some of the finest minds in the field. A program that has produced some of the top working Psychologists of our generation. And they took me sight unseen.

Before they left, my mom told me I'm here to do a job. It's what I want. I don't want to be alone, I don't want to be in Texas, but I want to do this. And I have the opportunity to do it.

I'm one of the lucky ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.