Confessing In Style

A friend of mine wore a pair of sunglasses where the lenses were in the shape of a star or something like that, and someone told her she couldn't pull them off, which was a) mean, no one wants your unsolicited opinion, and 2) not true, she can totally rock those! And she said that I wear heart shaped sunglasses, and they supposedly said, "that's because Megan has style."

Confession: I have no idea if I dress my age.

I was raised by a tomboy Mother who is naturally beautiful. She taught me the basics and I've figured out the rest on my own through experimentation (not always successful...sigh...) I love doing my hair, crazy makeup, lots of lipstick, high heels, accessories, and most of it is probably not age appropriate. When do you stop wearing big dangly earrings? When are you supposed to keep your hair short? I already wear smokey eyes during the day--yesterday I was trying out the makeup for a show I'm working on and walked around life with electric blue eyeshadow on!

If I have style, that's news to me. I feel like I've dressed the way I do forever, and it wasn't making me any friends when I was in high school, when it was actually "important," and now I just don't care if anyone likes it. I wear what I want. And maybe I'm too close to my wardrobe to see it, but I can't see how my style has evolved as I've gotten older.

So let's talk about how I've "got style" because I'm not so sure. I've been doing the costume design for Fangirl at Brelby and it became immediately apparent that I have no idea how I actually pair my clothes with my shoes with my accessories with my hair style with my makeup. No clue. It just happens. And I'm not saying I'm just naturally gifted at it, but it just kind of happens. Maybe I have enough separates and fun jewelry that it just works well together. But I don't know. I'm sure someone who's more put together than I am would hate everything about how I dress.

My sister doesn't understand my love of heart shaped sunglasses and my need to buy them when I see them. (I only have two pairs!)

How about you? What age do you think you should stop wearing skirts above your knees? Do you have style? It's Confession Tuesday, let's talk shop-ping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.