Over-Active Imagination Confession

I love movies. I really love summer blockbusters. As trashy and unsubstantial as they may be, one of my favorite things is to go to midnight premiers and stay up all night watching one schlock fest after the next.

But sometimes, ok most times, I take them too seriously.

Confession: I look at movies as warnings for the future.

Like Jurassic World is coming out soon. There are attack raptors and a giant thing that jumps out the water and you can sit in the splash zone, and everyone who grew up in the 90's is so excited because our childhood is back.

Are you freaking kidding me?! This is a cautionary tale, but apparently I'm the only one in the world who's actually concerned about it. Why does no one else in the world think this could actually happen?!

These movies always start with some idiot scientist thinking they can do something they shouldn't in spite of the rules and ethics and whatever, and everyone thinks no one would ever be that stupid, but I think you're all forgetting that people are insane! Of course some maniac with a Biology degree would go rogue and try to breed a race of super intelligent apes. Aren't they so cute when they sign banana?! What else can they do?!

Also! Why do the people in the movies, the world of the movie, never think... "huh, remember last year there was that park with the dinosaurs and they got out and things went wrong and everybody died? Let's try it again!" Who are these people?! Does no one have the news in these worlds? They have those little glass bicycle balls that they can see the dinos up close and personal, but they don't have access to history?!

I'm sure lots of you saw these movies when you were kids and maybe remember blurring the lines a bit, as kids do sometimes. And that would explain my insistence that these things could actually happen if I'd seen these movies when I was a kid. I was into Disney and Sailor Moon, lots of cartoons when I was a kid. I didn't actually see Jurassic Park until I was 13 and it scared the hell out of me. I didn't see Planet of the Apes until I was 24 and it scared the hell out of me.

Unfortunately, these are the product of my adult mind. Sigh.

So tell me, what does your over-active imagination do to you in the dark? What goes bump in the night at your house? Talk to me, it's Tuesday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.