Hmmm... What Else Can I Do?

Claira Ann Barnes was born this week.

On Thursday morning. She has a full head of hair and a huge dimple chin. I'm so happy for my friends; I'm glad she's here safely, that there were no complications, that the entire thing is over, and that God has blessed them with a beautiful healthy baby. And I can honestly say, she is the first baby I cannot wait to get my hands on.



Also. People are starting to know who I am.

Personally and professionally.

It's quite nice.

I'm different from everyone else here because I'm Jennifer's only grad student. Where people usually come in and work in a lab with returning students, I'm all by myself.

I don't mind. But it's been harder to meet people and by harder I mean I really haven't. I talk to people in my classes and I've gone out with people whenever they go out which has been twice. Everyone's really nice, we're all just so busy.

Jim, the professor I TA for now, talked to Jennifer and requested me to come work for him on a grant that's just gone through. So instead of being a paid TA, I'd be a paid Research Assistant. It's an incredible opportunity and I can't believe he thought of me! This happens all the time, people get grants and want certain people to work on them, but it's the first time it's happened to me and I'm completely excited!

I don't know if I'm going to do it because it is a significant commitment. I get paid right now to work a TA job, 20 hours a week; I've just picked up a third class and even with the addition of that class I won't be working 20 hours a month. It's a lot of free time that I have to do other things, like study, like work in the MHCJ Lab, like try and work out my first year project, like run analyses on screen data and do lit reviews on substance abuse to try and get it published, like look up theories in Psychology to add to my capstone and try and find some CJ collaborators and try and get that published...

...the Public Defender's office will be my own personal hell and I'm using their data set for my first year project which will happen concurrently with this new grant position.

It's a great opportunity but that can't be why I do it. I might not even be interested in the research they're doing. And there will be plenty of other grants. There's lots of work to do. I don't know if I want to wait. But I can.

Enjoy Halloween friends! Have fun and eat some candy for crying out loud. Life is ours to enjoy. As my grandmother, Karen, says, "Holiday calories don't count."

Comments

  1. Are you close to a Tom Thumb or Randalls? They're the Safeway of TX :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two grocery store chains here; Albertson's and Lowe's Big 8 and I have my pick of Hispanic Specialty shops. I have never see a Tom Thumb or Randalls... and according to their websites the closest of all 3 (Safeway included) are in Douglas, AZ :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.