Confess It to My Heart

I have a lot of passions. There are so many things that I love and will love until I die. Most people think it's just shoes, but that's because I literally wear that passion. I'm not as loud about things I love as some people, so let's change that on this lovely Confession Tuesday.

When I was a kid I loved Disney. To this day I LOVE Disney but I have a very vivid memory of watching a Disney special, Mickey's Happy Valentine Special (I also love all things Valentine's Day) on my birthday. The special was split up into segments and used a lot of popular songs of the time behind the clips of different Disney shows or movies. They used "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News which automatically made it the most romantic movie in history.

But then "Tell It To My Heart" by Taylor Dayne came on.

Confession of 3-year-old me: This is the most beautiful song I have ever heard.

And it was my favorite song as a kid. I have lots of embarrassing favorite songs from childhood, but this one just wins because it was weird then and I still freaking love it. I made my parents play it all the time which I'm sure was awful for them. They're not really pop music people and even if they were, too much of a good thing right? But I couldn't get enough of the song I was pretty positive I would walk down the aisle to at my wedding.

But the best part, guys we haven't even gotten to the best part. THE VIDEO!

Gah, the video is incredible!!! It is everything that was so-wrong-it's-right with the 80s. Obviously it's made a huge impact on how I've lived the rest of my life. Let's explore:


1. Because that hair. Girl. It is curled AND crimped!! My two favorite things in one hairstyle! I used to do my hair like Taylor Dayne in 9th grade! Not exactly like this, but I'd crimp the middle of a strand of hair and put a few pieces in hot rollers...I didn't date until much later.
Best selfie ever!
2. The corset top. In fifth grade I had ripped a page out of a magazine showing Julia Roberts, Gwyneth Paltrow and Halle Berry all wearing corsets. The trend was underwear as outerwear and I thought that's what it is to be a classy woman. Started with Taylor Dayne.

3. The smokey eye. Hot damn. I mean. Ugh. And those lips. There's really no explanation for them because wow, but I do love a red lipstick. Thank you, Taylor Dayne!

4. The background dancers! Fingerless gloves, denim vests, ripped acid wash high water jeans. Double the belts. Perfection! When I have background dancers, in manner of Taylor Dayne, they will wear this exact outfit and do a combination of 80s and early 90s hip hop and ballet. Tough yet tender. That's the secret.
So tell it to my heart. Is this really love or just a game? Confession Tuesday is not a game to me, so tell me: What was your favorite song from when you were a kid? Do you still love it?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.