Do I Really Love the Man Braid or Just Jared Leto?

Obviously I ask the tough questions.

A lot of things happened at the Golden Globes on Sunday. We found out that you could take a massive 12 year risk and make a great film (Boyhood), Wes Anderson looks exactly the way you think he will, Amal Clooney proved any and all office parties are boring, and Tina and Amy killed it, like we knew they would, including their completely brilliant joke about Bill Cosby (rape jokes are never funny; jokes about the man who refuses to discuss or acknowledge his 32 accusers except to make his own poorly timed jokes about rape, are well deserved AND hilarious).

But the most important thing that happened, is we got the mraid (man braid for any confused, but we're not supposed to call it that. I'm saving you from unnecessary embarrassment). Jared Leto has spoken: man braids are in for 2015!
I've always had a thing for guys with long hair. Don't get me wrong, not every guy can pull it off, but if you can (and Jared Leto can), oooooo...

...that's the sound of my panties turning to ash.

Last year at the Golden Globes, Jared Leto rocked the man bun and gave us a whole new trend in mens hairstyles and I didn't hate it. Not even a little bit. Wearing a man bun without irony takes a lot of confidence. Long hair on guys has gotten a bad rap with the atrocity of the low ponytail and the horrendous backcombing of 1980s metal band members, but a well-kept man bun sends all kinds of mixed signals--no words necessary, it just invites me to wonder.

One may think, but we just got the man bun! We're not ready for a new trend! and normally I would agree with you but I truly believe we have everything to gain if long-haired men embrace the mraid with the same zeal as they did the man bun. Both, man bun and mraid, occupy that erotic space between androgynous and hypermasculine; simultaneously feminine with that traditionally gendered hair length yet manly with that what's-a-comb-? energy, making a man's updo, and the man who dons it, neither arrogant or pretentious. Sure, you can see a guys face and neck with a short haircut, but short hair can't compare to the brashness of a devil-may-care updo; it simply states the wearer's adherence to messing with people's heads.

What is to become of the long haired men of 2015? Do you hope, as I do, that they'll all be good enough to sport a messy plait for all occasions? Because a well-executed man bun or mraid sets my heart aflutter, but I guess time will tell if the mraid will become the sexiest thing on the sidewalk. Like Jared Leto (seriously, ash).

So to answer my own question: YES. I love the man braid AND Jared Leto. As if that was ever a real question.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.