Confessions of a Vegetarian

For the most part, I love being a vegetarian. It was a good decision for me. In saying this, I don't care what other people eat which could possibly make me the worst vegetarian in the world. But what really makes me the worst is that if the only thing to eat is pepperoni pizza, I'll pick the pepperoni off. Or the fact that I cook meals for people with meat in them because I would never force anyone to eat vegetarian who didn't want to. But there are some things about being a vegetarian that really suck.

Confession: I feel like a nuisance at every single event ever.

Going to any event as a vegetarian really sucks.

I'm a very good guest. I'm very polite and I try not to make life harder for the host. And as much as I love to make a scene (and boy do I), I hate when it's about how I'm not eating anything. I have to hoard the single vegetarian item because even though everyone can eat both varieties of Spring rolls, I can only eat the vegetarian kind so quit eating the only appetizer I can eat! Eat your own! Whilst all your friends are chowing down on quiche and meatballs on sticks, I'm watching my alcohol intake because there's no food in my stomach and lying about how full I am so I don't make it weird. Because really, with few exceptions, no one's going to leave their party to go buy me food.

Confession: I hate eating fake meat.

In my mind, the only thing worse than real meat is faux meat. I life tofu and that's about it. But I don't want my blocks of tofu to be shaped like chicken nuggets or strips of bacon. I had Seitan in a wrap at some vegetarian restaurant in New York and it was the worst. But everyone assumes that because you don't eat meat, you want to eat meat substitutes. Negative.

Confession: I'm just as committed as vegans and other vegetarians.

"If you've cut out meat, why not just dairy and eggs?" Because I love cheese. Why don't you love cheese? Vegetarians also like to compete with each other. Congratulations, you've been promoting the cause five years longer than me, you must care more. I appreciate the vegetarians and other people who don't care how long I've been meat-free.

Confession: I hate turning down food.

Especially when I say, "oh I can't eat that" and some helpful soul says, "well you can, you just choose not to." Thank you for providing the clarity that was sorely lacking. It sounds pretentious to me, it's not like I have an allergy. But it's not for you to comment on.

Like I said before, I don't care what you eat. I know there are some evil vegetarians who judge everyone and cry while you eat a burger, but we all have to coexist. So confess. Some decision you've made in your life that other people have questioned, or when you get into it, maybe isn't the best thing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Streusel Cupcakes.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Holiday Movies

Quick, Quick.